The Western Ligurian Sea Port Authority is firmly committed to the research, design and implementation of projects which are either partially or entirely funded by the European Union.
Three European projects are currently being implemented under INTERREG MARITIMO-IT FR-MARITIME.
- Project Rumble aims to reduce the impact of noise emissions in areas overlooking the commercial port.
- Project Impatti-No aims to improve the management of the treatment of waste generated by ports through the development of a circular economy model.
- Project GNL Facile / Fonte Accessibile focuses on reducing the use of polluting fuels in favour of new energy sources with minimal environmental impact, such as Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).
In 2017, the Venti e Porti project was completed, which enabled the Port Authority to purchase a wind monitoring system and a statistical-mathematical calculation model to provide reliable forecasts.
The project has made the port significantly more accessible and safer for people, vehicles and facilities in all operational areas.
In addition, activities are in progress for the following EU projects:
- "INES - Implementing New Environmental Solutions in the Port of Genoa", selected in 2015 for European co-financing ( 20% of eligible costs), consists of the installation of a shore-side electrical power facility in the PSA Genova Pra’ terminal to reduce emissions, specifically CO2 and NOx, and noise pollution from moored ships.
- “E-BRIDGE Project”, submitted in the Connecting Europe Facility call for proposals 2018 and selected to receive EU co-funding, it has the full support of the Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport and the port shipping community. The objective of the project is to implement a series of intangible assets related to the introduction in stages of the complete digitalization of data exchange in the Port of Genoa, with the aim of mitigating the impact of the collapse of the Morandi Bridge on port activities. E-Bridge integrates seamlessly with the activities developed by the Port in relation to the optimization of incoming/outgoing heavy vehicles, automation of port and terminal gates, installation of buffer zones at the service of the freight. The project groups together the Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport, as co-ordinator, the Western Ligurian Sea Port Authority, UIRNet, provider of the National Logistics Platform and Circle SpA, in addition to the local port community and RFI, the Italian Railway Network.