The first edition of the MedCruise Awards took place on June 25th, 2019 in Genoa, in the Ceremonial Room of the City Hall of Genoa
Genoa, 25 June 2019 - The Mediterranean’s major cruise event was proudly hosted by one of the founding members, the Port of Genoa, today governed by the Western Ligurian Sea Port Authority, in a city that offers premier cruise business opportunities in the heart of the Mediterranean Sea.
The MedCruise Awards brought together MedCruise members and associate members as well as their partners, local authorities, Cruise Line executives and international press representatives at the first edition of the MedCruise Awards.
The MedCruise Awards integrated several categories with different juries composed by cruise industry experts, where some prizes were given based on jury members’ opinion and others based on facts. The ceremony started with speeches from the local authorities Stefano Balleari, Deputy Mayor of Genoa; Andrea Benveduti, Councillor of Regional Economic Development for Liguria; Marina Monti, Communications and Marketing Director of the Western Ligurian Sea Port Authority and Doriana Rodino, City Councillor of Culture in Savona. Then, MedCruise President, Airam Díaz Pastor, addressed the audience and greeted Fabio Capocaccia, former President of MedCruise (1997-2002). The prizes were given by the Board of Directors members of MedCruise and its President.
After the ceremony, the distinguished guests that attended the MedCruise Awards, enjoyed a cocktail reception followed by a gala dinner at Terrazza Galata Museo del Mare. MedCruise President highlighted the importance of the initiative like this event to strength cooperation among the players of our industry and recognise the companies, organisations and individuals who are working harder to promote the sustainable growth of the cruise activities in the Mediterranean and its adjoining seas. “I would like to congratulate all the winners and thank all MedCruise members, associate members, cruise line executives and international press representatives for taking part of the election process and supporting this great event as well as the Board of Directors members of MedCruise for their commitment to the organisation of this great event”, said Díaz Pastor.
Categories and winners of the awards:
- Cruise Line Executive Showing the Greatest Commitment during the 52nd MedCruise General Assembly held in La Valletta: Captain Luigi Pastena, Vice President Port Operations, MSC Cruises
- Cruise Line Executive Showing the Greatest Commitment during the 54th MedCruise General Assembly held in Kusadasi: Marcus Puttich, Head of Port & Ground Operations, TUI Cruises
- Best Port from the West Med Region of MedCruise: Port of Barcelona
- Best Port from the Adriatic Sea Region of MedCruise: Port of Dubrovnik
- Best Port from the East Med Region of MedCruise: Port of Piraeus
- Best Port from the Black Sea Region of MedCruise: Port of Odessa
- Associate Member with the Most Efficient Shorex Agent and tour operator: Intercruises Shoreside & Port Services
- Associate Member with the Most Efficient Port Agent: Cemar
- Associate Member with the Most Efficient Cruise Terminal: DP World Limassol
- Associate Member with the Most Proactive Tourist Board/Municipality: VAR Provence Cruise Club
- Award for the Best Cruise Industry publication: Seatrade Cruise Review
- Lifetime Recognition Award: Giovanni Spadoni, Technical & Commercial Director, Porto di Livorno 2000 and former President of MedCruise (2009-2011)
- Award for the Cruise Line with the Highest Number of Calls in all the MedCruise Regions: MSC Cruises
- Award for the Cruise Line Group/Holding with Highest Number of Calls in all the MedCruise Regions: Carnival Corporation
- Award for the Luxury Cruise Line with the Highest Number of Calls in all the MedCruise Regions: Viking Cruises
- Award for the Cruise Line with the Greatest Commitment to the East Med Region: Celestyal Cruises
- Award for the Cruise Line with the Greatest Investment and Commitment to the Environment and Sustainability: AIDA Cruises
- Award for the Cruise Line with the Greatest Sustainability Program: Costa Cruises
- Award for the Cruise Line with the Highest Attendance in MedCruise General Assemblies: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
MedCruise Association is the largest cruise port association worldwide and its mission is to promote the cruise industry in the Mediterranean, Black Sea, Adriatic Sea, Red Sea and Near Atlantic. Established in Rome in 1996, MedCruise membership spreads today in 21 countries and 3 different continents representing more than 130 ports and 32 cruise-related-companies and associations. In 2018, MedCruise members welcomed more than 28 million cruise passenger and about 12,800 cruise calls.
MedCruise assists its members in benefiting from the growth of the cruise industry by providing networking, promotion and professional development opportunities, and collaborates with different associations to better promote cruising and improve cooperation on issues of common interest. The Association is working to increase and strengthen its partnerships with cruise port associations over the coming years to continue to boost cruise traffic. These alliances help to provide a unified voice for sustainable cruise growth when dealing with European Union organisations, national governments, local authorities and other cruise industry stakeholders.