Western Ligurian Sea Port Authority and Per Genova Breakwater Consortium led by Webuild launch the project in the presence of Italian Infrastructure and Transport Minister Matteo Salvini. The Genoa’s New Breakwater is a national strategic project to improve the role of the city, Liguria and Italy in international maritime trade. Also, it is an innovative project unique in the world for its scale, engineering complexity and benefit to the city and country: the new breakwater will be 6,200 metres long and its construction will create 1,000 jobs.GENOA, May 4, 2023 – Genoa is set to strengthen its role as a strategic hub for the Mediterranean. The laying of the first stone for a new breakwater was celebrated today, marking the start of work on a project unique in the world for its scale, engineering complexity and economic benefit to the cit...
Construction works commence to expand the dockside container yard at Bettolo Terminal, the first step towards the transition from multi-quay to single quay line at the Port of Sampierdarena.
A delegation of the Committee on Transport and Tourism (TRAN) of the European Parliament, led by Chair Karima Delli, visited the capital of Liguria on a fact-finding mission to receive an update on the major infrastructure projects of European significance underway in the Ports of Genoa and Savona-Vado Ligure, the southern maritime apex of the Rhine-Alpine Trans-European transport network corridor connecting Genoa to the premier seaports in Northern Europe.
Following his first official visit in 2021 to Genoa as US Consul General in Milan, Robert Needham met with Port President Paolo Emilio Signorini in the historical headquarters of Palazzo San Giorgio to receive an update on the sizable 2.6 billion euro investment programme underway for the expansion and upgrade of the Port of Genoa and Savona-Vado Ligure’s facilities, with a specific focus on the environmental sustainability policies undertaken by the Port Authority.
The Ports of Genoa consolidates its leading role in container handling, with volumes firmly back to pre-pandemic levels, up +0.6% on 2021 at 2.8 million TEUs. Total containerised tonnage rose by +3.5%, with gateway box traffic registering an increase of +4.1% compared to 2021, thereby establishing Genoa, Savona and Vado-Ligure as premier maritime hub for Northern Italy's manufacturing and consumer heartland.
Dredging operations are underway in Savona to increase the depth across the Palacrociere cruise terminal navigation channels to cater for the arrival of the next-generation ships.
From Renzo Piano's blueprint to the busy building site, the Port of Genoa's new Control Tower is under construction in the Levante Waterfront. The foundations of the building, designed to accommodate the port pilots operations, take shape and will be connected by a boarding bridge to the artificial island where the steel and glass-panelled Tower with the observation room is set to dominate the harbour skyline.
The Port Authority President, Paolo Emilio Signorini, receives H.E. Rommanee Kananurak, Ambassador of Thailand to Italy, during the course of her first official visit to the city of Genoa since her appointment last year.
Sestri Ponente’s Fincantieri Shipyard provided the stunning backdrop to the Cruiseship «Coin Ceremony» of Explora II, the second of six ships commissioned by Explora Journey, the luxury brand of the MSC Cruise Division, and the first MSC vessel to be built in Genoa where the cruise line registers its highest passenger volume worldwide.
Dredging operations speed up alongside the cruise and ferry terminal quays to ensure completion ahead of schedule and prepare to accommodate in full safety the passenger ships scheduled in Genoa for the busy summer months.