The comprehensive and flexible roadmap that charts the course for future growth and development at the Port of Savona-Vado Ligure, with a holistic approach which also looks at the local urban and economic impact, can now begin. The plan maps out the next generation of land-use and infrastructure projects, consolidating the port's role as leading maritime and logistics gateway and as an economic driving force for the region.
"Today we are proud to sign the masterplan," declared the Port President Paolo Emilio Signorini, "which brings to a successful conclusion, on the part of a team of experts from the local and regional authorities, together with the Port Authority, a long and fruitful strategic planning process for the development of the extensive logistic-port area of Savona. The wide range of major infrastructure works can now kick off: improved maritime, road and rail access, waterfront redevelopment, flood defence and land management of the local territory, and funding will come from monies allocated with the EU's post-Covid recovery plan."
The new Port Masterplan is designed to accelerate the existing infrastructure improvement programme already in place which features the following projects:
- The Last Mile: a package of major works to upgrade the on-site direct road and rail links between the port and the city (Vado Ligure Intermodal Terminal, new motorway link and toll gates in Vado Ligure, completion of the Aurelia bis road, new buffer zones for heavy-duty vehicles waiting to access the port terminals);
- Completion of the works outlined in the Vado Ligure Agreement of 28/09/2018;
- New Simplified Logistics Zone in Vado Ligure;
- The promotion of environmentally sustainable operations in the port in compliance with recent Italian and European legislation and with the guidelines published in the Port Authority Energy and Environmental Planning Report, with a package of proposals of short and long-term actions to be presented to the Ministry of Ecological Transition (coastal defence and management, flood defence works, restructuring and completion of the funicular cable car between the port and Cairo Montenotte, installation of rooftop solar panels across the Port of Savona, new electric-powered cargo handling equipment, new cranes, energy transition);
- Redevelopment of the waterfront;
- New major port infrastructure (Vado Ligure breakwater, cold ironing, dredging).