Via all’Idroscalo - 16149 Genova Porto (GE) - Italy
Tel. +39 010 4317000
Fax +39 010 2463499
The Genoa power plant is located in the port, at the foot of the lighthouse, in the Sampierdarena basin. The plant, inaugurated in 1929, was built to supply electrical power to the equipment which had been installed in the port.
The facility, which is coal-fired, features one 155-MW and two 70-MW generating-stations. The site offers a total surface area of 20,000 sqm for coal storage and a range of equipment with abatement systems to limit coal dust dispersion.
The building which accommodates the engine room and the boilers is listed with the Architectural and Environmental Protection Heritage Council for its architectural and historical value.
In recent years plant production has decreased substantially due to restrictions imposed to reduce the level of pollution and in view of the final closure of the power plant scheduled in 2017.